Travel Insurance FAQ's

All answers are a guide only and your policy is subject to the terms and conditions as shown in the combined Product Disclosure Statement for International, Budget, Inbound, Annual Multi Trip, Australian and Australian Cancellation travel plans and the Toursafe School Group and School Excursion Product Disclosure Statements. 

TI29 Combined Product Disclosure Statement 

CS14 Toursafe School Group Product Disclosure Statement

SE24 School Excursion Product Disclosure Statement


1.    What do I need to have to purchase an Easy Travel Insurance policy online?

Personal information for all travellers who need to be insured including:

Full name
Date of birth
Residential address
Dates of travel
Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number to receive points on eligible policies (if you are a member)


2.    Is there a cooling off period on your travel insurance?

Having purchased a travel policy, if you want to cancel it, you can do so within 21 days of receiving the Certificate of Insurance and obtain a full refund, provided no right or power has been exercised under it by you (e.g. No claim has been made) and your trip has not commenced.

We will arrange for a refund of the premium within 15 business days of you cancelling your policy.
The cooling off period does not apply to policy or trip extensions.


3.    What dates should I enter when getting a quote?

Your policy start date is the date that you leave your home in Australia. The end date is the date that you arrive back to your home in Australia.

For Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance  - The commencement date is the date you would like your policy to start and should be your first date of travel. Your 12 months begins from the commencement date but you are covered free of charge for cancellation and other pre trip benefits as soon as you pay your premium which can be up to a year in advance.

If you're a regular traveller, whether it's overseas or within Australia, this plan offers comprehensive cover for any eligible trip taken during your 12-month period of insurance with a maximum trip duration of 60 days. This way, you can take an unlimited number of trips without the hassle of buying travel insurance each time.

4.    What is an excess?

An excess will apply to each claim you make under this policy except on the applicable section of the policy wording listed as “No excess applies to claims under this benefit”. You can choose your excess level from the available options on selected policy types.

The excess will be subtracted from the amount paid to you if you should make a claim under a section of the policy where the excess is applicable. If you make more than one claim under your policy the excess will apply to each claim which arises as a result of each separate set of circumstances.

The amount of this excess will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance.


5.     Can I extend my travel insurance from overseas?

Yes! In most cases your policy can be extended as many times as you like from anywhere you have access to the internet or a telephone.

Your International Comprehensive travel plan can be extended up to a maximum duration of 24 months from your original departure date for travellers under 70 years of age and up to the maximum total duration applicable to your age for Australian residents 70 years of age or over.

Budget Travel Plans may be extended in most cases up to 24 months from date of departure but extensions are subject, in some cases, to age and destination restrictions for travellers over 70 years of age.

Inbound Travellers under 81 years of age can extend for up to 12 months but conditions may apply depending on your destination and age.

Annual Multi Trip Travel Plans cannot be extended or renewed, and a new application is required for each subsequent year but policies can run consecutively to provide continuous cover. You can however apply for an International or Australian Travel Plan to cover the period of any trip that exceeds the maximum duration of 60 days provided the current policy has not expired.

 Extensions for Australian Travel Plans are available to Australian residents regardless of age and for non Australian residents under 70 years of age up to a maximum total duration of 12 months from date of departure.

Extensions are only available before the current policy expires.

When applying for an extension you must tell us if a claim has been made or pending, you suffer from an existing medical condition, or you have seen a medical or dental practitioner. In these circumstances an extension may not be available or special terms may be imposed.

The premium for an extension is calculated at the amount current at the time of the extension.

Policy extensions post departure are subject to service fees.


6.    How do I make a travel insurance claim?

Travel claims can be lodged 24/7 from anywhere in the world. Claims can be lodged whilst you are away or on your return home. Need to make a travel claim? Click here to make a claim.

You can help to speed up the processing of your claim by following the instructions on the claim form, which will advise you of what documentation you need to provide to support your claim.


7.    How much does a travel insurance policy cost?

When calculating the cost of your policy we take a range of factors into account including, in the case of International or Australian travel plans:

The travel plan selected, trip duration and cover for any of the additional benefits you choose.

The premium paid by you for the travel plan selected and any additional benefits will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance, including compulsory government charges (including Stamp Duty and GST where applicable).

The policy is only valid when you pay the premium and we issue a Certificate of Insurance to you.


8.    Who can buy this insurance?

Insurance is not available to travellers who have commenced travel and are outside of Australia, except on the Inbound Travel Plan and when extending an existing policy.

International Travel Plan –  This policy is available to residents of Australia regardless of age however, if you are aged 80 years or over at the time the Certificate of Insurance is to be issued and you wish to purchase an International Travel Plan you will be required to complete a Travellers Medical Appraisal Form. Non residents of Australia under 70 years of age when the Certificate of Insurance is issued are also eligible to purchase this travel cover.

Annual Multi Trip Travel Plan - This policy is available to residents of Australia who are under 70 years of age at the time the Certificate of Insurance is to be issued. Non residents are not eligible for travel cover with the Annual Multi Trip travel plan.

Australian Travel Insurance and Cancellation Cover - This policy is available to residents of Australia regardless of age and to non-residents of Australia who are under 70 years of age at the time the Certificate of Insurance is issued.

Budget Travel Insurance - This travel plan is available to residents and non residents of Australia up to 80 years of age for travel to the UK, Asia, Tahiti, Indonesia, New Zealand and the Pacific Region and for travellers up to 69 years of age if going to the USA, South or Central America, Antarctica, Canada, Continental Europe, Middle East, Japan or Africa. Your policy must be issued prior to the commencement of your trip.

Inbound Travel Insurance - This travel plan is only available to non-residents of Australia who are under 81 years of age who are entering Australia on a temporary basis. This policy is only available if your trip includes travel within Australia and is not available to cover you only for your return to your normal country of residence.  The Certificate of Insurance must be issued prior to your arrival in Australia.

School Group Travel Insurance - The Toursafe School Groups International and Domestic travel plans are available to groups of 10 or more students and adults who are residents of Australia up to 60 years of age at the time the time of departure and the School Excursion travel plan is available to Australian students and adults regardless of age.


9.    What is the definition of a resident?

For the purpose of buying travel insurance, a resident is anyone who currently resides in Australia, regardless of visa type, and is eligible for an Australian Medicare card.


10.    Are group discounts available to all travellers?

Absolutely. Groups of 10 or more travellers purchasing our travel plans can be combined onto one policy and receive an extra 10% off the already discounted rate, PLUS every 10th traveller is covered FREE. Get in touch using the Contact Us page and one of our representatives will be able to help.

If you don't have 10 travellers in your group, don't despair! You can receive additional discounts by including 2 paying travellers onto one policy, and don't forget, accompanying children under 25 years of age can also be included on your International, Budget, Australian, Inbound and Annual Multi Trip Travel Plans FREE of charge.


11.    How can I earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points just by buying travel insurance?

You can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points on eligible travel insurance policies just by adding your Qantas Frequent Flyer member number when completing your application for travel insurance online.

Points are allocated at the rate of 1 point per $2 spent on the International, Australian and Annual Multi Trip travel plans. Points are not available on other travel plans.

You must be a Qantas Frequent Flyer member to earn points, membership to this program is your responsibility and a joining fee may apply. Qantas Points may take up to 6 weeks to be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account.


12.    How do I amend my policy?

If you have a Travel Insurance Policy, you can log in and manage your policy online.

You will be able to:

Buy additional benefits like Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess or Snow Sports cover and Specified Item Cover
Confirm a transaction
Amend, extend or cancel a policy


13.    Who are Easy Travel Insurance's Insurers?

QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited is a member of the QBE Insurance Group (ASX QBE). QBE Insurance Group is Australia’s largest international general insurer and reinsurance group, and one of the top 25 global insurers and reinsurers worldwide as measured by net earned premium. The company has been operating in Australia since 1886.


14.    Why do I need travel insurance?

Travelling is fun and you shouldn't have to worry about losing your luggage, getting sick while you're away, or airline disruptions and cancellations.

Travel insurance provides peace of mind against:

Emergency travel expenses and accommodation
Overseas medical and dental expenses
Travel delay

Please refer to the Policy Disclosure Statement for full details of coverage. It is critical to ensure you have suitable levels of cover to suit your needs, and to be completely clear on what is, and what is not covered.


15.     When does my policy start?

When purchasing online, you are covered immediately after we have received payment and provided you with a Certificate of Insurance. Cover for cancellation begins on the date of issue of your policy and benefits under all other sections commence from the nominated departure date. The 12 months cover on the Annual Multi Trip travel plan starts from your nominated commencement date or first day of travel with all pre-trip benefits, such as cancellation cover, being included free from the moment you pay.


16.    Where can I find the Product Disclosure Statement and Policy Wording terms and conditions?

See below links to PDS documents:

TI29 Combined International, Budget, Australian, Inbound and Annual Multi Trip Product Disclosure Statement

CS14 Toursafe School Group PDS

SE24 School Excursion PDS


17.    What are the Emergency Assistance contact details?

You can call QBE Assist 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year on 1300 555 019 or for a full list of Freecall numbers from landlines worldwide please refer to our Emergency Assistance page.

A list of emergency contact details will be provided on purchase of your Certificate of Insurance. QBE Assist is wholly owned by QBE and is ready to offer advice and help travellers in the event of an accident, illness or mishap during their travel.


18.    What are the claims department contact details?

Website: Visit and follow the instructions.  
Telephone: 61 +03 8523 2777

Terms, conditions and acceptance criteria apply. Cover limits apply as set out in the policy wording. This material contains general information only and may not suit your particular circumstances. Before deciding to acquire any insurance product, you should obtain and consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement to decide if a policy is right for you. Insurance issued by QBE Insurance (Australia) Ltd ABN 78 003 191 035 AFS Licence 239545. eReliance Pty Ltd trading as Easy Travel Insurance, ABN 48 147 939 277 is an Authorised Distributor 0012131 of QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited *Qantas Frequent Flyer members can earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per $2 spent on eligible QBE Travel insurance products. (Terms and conditions apply)

FAQ's | Existing Policy | Claim | Partners | Contact | Privacy Policy

© Easy Travel Insurance 2018. All Rights Reserved


Annual Cover Travel Insurance

Does the trip contain any component where more than 72 hours is spent in the USA, South and Central America or Antarctica?
Yes No